Same-sex Parents – Overview

The law surrounding same-sex parents is complex and if legal advice is not sought from the outset then it can result in complications.

The manner by which a child is conceived in a same-sex relationship has a considerable impact on which parents are considered to have “parental responsibility” for that child. Full legal advice should always be sought when same sex couples are considering raising a child so that parents can ensure that they are aware of their legal rights in relation to that child.

Same-sex couples may wish to adopt a child. This may be ordered with the parents’ consent or for a child who has been placed for adoption by an adoption order.

Our guide offers further information. Alternatively, contact one of our solicitors. Our solicitors can meet you virtually or at any of our offices to talk about your situation. Contact us today to arrange an appointment.